Maiori is seaside resort featuring the longest beach of the Amalfi coast. It was founded during the Roman Empire, when the aristocrats built villas near the most important landing place of the coast. Maiori shared the fate and history of Amalfi. But in 839 it was destroyed and pillaged by “Sicardo”. When Sicardo died in 840AC, the inhabitants rebuilt the village, and built a fortress around the church of “S.Nicola de Thoro-Plano” to defend the city when pirates attacked.
During the Republic of Amalfi, Maiori was an important marine harbour. But, in 1135, Maiori was again pillaged and destroyed by the army of Pisa.
Places to visit:
The “Sanctuary of the Collegiata of Santa Maria a Mare”, built on three aisles with arches. Inside we find a lot of treasures and a caisson ceiling made by “Alessandro de Fulco”. We can also see a polychrome statue of the “Blessed Virgin”.
The castle of San Nicola de Thoro-Plano, built over an old church, it was rebuilt completly in 1498 thanks to the Piccolomini Duke after many mishaps during construction.
Near Maiori, we can visit the monastic complex of “Santa Maria de Olearia”; it was built in 973AC by Benedictine monks, and it is very important since it contains the monastic rest of the Coast, from the middle-ages.