Visitors to Otranto, one of the Salento's most popular tourist destinations, cannot fail but be struck by the city's strikingly beautiful Romanesque Cathedral. Erected in 1088 - following the conquest by the Normans - it is the largest of all Puglia's churches: 54 meters long and 25 meters wide.
In memory of the ferocious attack inflicted on the city in 1480 by the Turks, under the guide of Solomon the Magnificent, numerous relics of its martyrs were conserved within the cathedral and can still be seen today in the Martyrs Chapel, where the bones and skeletons of some 800 victims are conserved in glass shrines.
On the facade of the cathedral there is an immense Gothic-Arabian style rose window dating back to the renaissance period. Perhaps the most impressive features found within the cathedral are the intricately carved capitals depicting eagles with outspread wings, heraldic birds, and lions.